Saturday, May 12, 2007

Nana Dona: Mom, Grandma, Teacher, Wife, and Person Extraordinaire



Happy Mother’s Day Nana Dona! Today as I struggled through bits and pieces of motherhood myself, I reflected a little on my own mother and what amazing things she did for us. I see, now that I’m a mother, that mom devoted herself entirely to us. It’s pretty amazing, actually, and with the approaching marriage of her youngest baby…she must be pretty amazed. I myself dream of this day…in eager anticipation of “washing my hands” of my children. But mom, thanks for all the things you did for us and taught us and as I reflected today…one thing that really effected me was all of your selfless acts. The one that tops the charts (in my book) is the Valentine’s Cookies for the widows. I tell so many people this story and it has become such a part of our family history…it’s something that my kids will certainly know about…and perhaps their kids too. I hope that my own family can have experiences like that (and others) and that they will remember growing up with as happy memories as I have. Thanks again for everything you did and still do for us…what would we be without you. Love ya.

4 comments:

daisy said...

Thanks Emily....You said what I wanted too, but couldn't put into words.

It's true. Mom you were and are still an amazing mother. I always think of you when my children come and ask for "ice" or a drink of water right after I have just crashed on the couch with a brownie for myself and the paper and just groan.....how did you do it?

Thanks mom. I love you!

sadie said...

And you make some good cinnamon rolls , too.

Marty Reeder said...

I think of Mom telling stories about when she was a kid in LaGrande, reading books to us before bedtime, putting on awesome parties for us and our friends, and bringing me not one but two dinners when my wife and I were sick ... oh wait, that was this weekend, Mother's Day weekend. I guess she'll never get a rest.

Thanks mom. Because you love me most, I have no choice but to love you most too!

nana said...

I just read all these cool things... no I didn't tear up... okay I did. It just makes me think about my mom (mom Idon)... I'm at about 1/100th of her coolness... she used to make pajamas for entire families every Christmas... wow
You "moms" out there are more amazing with those cute grandkids!!!!than I can imagine!! thanks for being my sweet kids and kids - in -law... love it.