Friday, October 12, 2007

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you...You get the idea.

Nana's birthday. Oh how I wish we were staying in Little America and eating at the Rodigio Grill...To be followed by plenty of thrifty shopping at Gateway. Maybe next year. But anyway, just wanted to wish the most amazing mother a happy of happy birthdays and to say that as I begin my own career as mother...it never ceases to amaze me how mom did it. She always seemed to know what to do and so calm and so not how I feel 95% of the time. I know that Daisy feels confident as the best mom in the world, but I sometimes feel lacking. I do know one thing though, mom has been a great example to me and so many times when I'm in the middle of some parenting crisis I think--what would mom do? And if I can maintain a Dona calmness...it works.

Anyway, thanks for everything you did and do for us. You're not only the best mom ever, but the best grandma ever, too.
Here's some great memories: please add to it:

Valentine's day cookies
A lesson on prayer (otherwise known as "There's a bird in the garage!!")
Not afraid to say "shit"
Reading "The Hobbit" followed by the Redwall series...even up until teenage years and beyond
Christmas mornings
Getting up with us on early morning swim mornings
Coming to every swim meet/track/cross country/marathon....
A GREAT public speaker (her "sport" as dad puts it)
Bringing home milkshakes
Always packing great little toys/activities on long trips
Carrying everyone's jacket/toys/books/everything without ever complaining
Gasping in terror and then sighing with relief any time someone gets near even the tiniest bit of a ledge
Running on the mini-tramp in the basement in Hyrum while listening to Neil Diamond
Always having plenty of food for everyone
Great storytelling and letter writing
Good sport in every FHE when dad gave us the "You're not helping your mother enough" speech
Nice enoughs
Making everything fun
Calling me at school with the answer to the last crossword puzzle word that we just couldn't figure out

Love ya mom.

8 comments:

Brooke said...

I love you, Aunt Dona!!

J Bentham said...

Incredibly kind heart--and a great smile! She even taught me how to tie my shoes! Have a great B-Day!

Papa said...

Why don't we make a rubber wrist band that says WWMD (what would Mom do)? We'll sell them on e-bay and when the orders slow down we'll sell nose warmers in your school colors.

Shayne said...

Dona, you are the best, I hope you know that. Thanks for letting us be there on your birthday.

daisy said...

Emily could NOT have said it better! Thanks Em.

Here's a memory: Remember that time we were in the grocery store and I really wanted a certain kind of frosting. It wasn't there. I told mom about it, and presto....she found it. I don't know how, but she did. I was so so happy!!! And this is not sarcasm. Sadie was there so ask her...it was two days ago.

Mom, I love you. And I too am glad we got to see you on your birthday. You are a near perfect example of how a mother should be....and probably more perfect example of how a wife should be. And that is the one I constantly fall short on. This is also not sarcasm. Shayne is always there so ask him.

Marty Reeder said...

Bonnie and I were discussing on our way home yesterday at how we feel so comfortable around you and Dad. We feel like you are just another married couple like us and you're willing to talk with us about anything. Thank you for creating that type of atmosphere to share with us.

P.S. It was good to see Shayne and Daisy and the girls too, even if it was only for a little bit.

sadie said...

How about waiting up late when I got home from a date to talk to me?

Or listening to me tell EVERY detail about my day and then laughing and crying at all the right parts?

Or how about always buying three extra milkshakes, pizzas, sandwiches...just in case?

She came to every talk and lesson I ever gave--even when I thought it was a secret. (Did she hire a PI?)

Love you lots, Mom.

nana said...

thanks all for those kind words... keep this blog and my funeral will already be written!

lov mom