Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Ode to Seven

I think I was born wanting a dog. But Mom and Dad always had one excuse or another: Camp Hunt or Jones. It wasn't until Emily got married that they agreed to get one (or what turned out to be two). Maybe they were feeling a pre-empty nest syndrome, but anyway we got seven and dandy. I still remember how furry they were when we first got them. I think even Dad thought they were cute. We've had some good times with them, I think. We've taken them on some crazy hikes and ski trips. They may have limped for three days after, but they always loved it. And remember, Isaac, when we took them on "training runs"? We'd take them in the civic and let them out on the backroad of 2nd east and then drive 25 miles per hour while they ran as fast as they could behind. Sort of mean, I guess. But they loved it. Anyway, Seven. I know you weren't everyone's favorite the way Dandy is, but you were a good dog, and you were always my favorite.

6 comments:

daisy said...

We will miss you Seven.

Emily said...

Seven, as much as mom and dad tried, I think you never were able to take my place. We'll miss ya...

Shayne said...

I thought this would be one of the happiest days of my life but it isn't. It really isn't. The right decision was made and in all seriousness, the dogs had a good run but will really be missed, even by me.

nana said...

I must admit at the vets... there was a young family with 4 little kids and 3 moms with dogs... they must have known... looking at seven and how I had to carry her everywhere, and how she did not respond and of course I was having a pretty tough time of it... soon the entire place was crying, including the doctor the kids, and the dogs...and the receptionist. Dandy keeps wondering when I'm going to bring her back home. She was excited to come home first alone. Elise said she and Isaac don't really want to lick her ears, so that is probably the first job to fill. Her cancer (tumor) that filled her entire stomach area after surgery would only give her about 3-6 months. She dug one last
hole in the flower bed for papa to remember her by... it makes us smile.

Marty Reeder said...

Sigh. Sometimes, during real special occasions, red ferns grow.

I hope to someday see seven dandelions clumped all together on the lawn.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to here that Seven is gone. I remember the those two fur balls from many years ago.