Friday, April 27, 2007

Leggo my Eggo




So when exactly will my kids be able to cut their own waffles. I mean—this step will be a bigger hurdle than leaving the home for college. It was a good day, maybe the best of my whole life, when Lily started washing her own hair and Canyon started buckling his own seat belt…but when can I stop cutting up their waffles, meat, etc.? I have these visions of me and Lily at college—me, cutting her waffles every morning before she goes to class. I suppose that some people are high maintenance, that their expectations in life include great vacations, money, power, nice homes, cars…. Me? I just want my kids to cut their own waffles.

4 comments:

daisy said...

Em, I hear that! So true. That's why I avoid the waffle. I prefer pancakes, softer...Parly and Kate will cut their own pancake.

Or you could be like Shayne and just give them a chunk of meat and expect them to eat it off in bites---like the cavemen did.

Brooke said...

As soon as John had the great idea of using the pizza cutter for this job, I forgot all about hating it. I guess when they are old enough to use a pizza cutter themselves, I'll give one as a birthday present and that will be the end of it.

When is a kid old enough to use a pizza cutter anyways?

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Em. It's not that they can't do it. It's that it tastes better when mom's cut waffles. It's true. Besides, when you're tired in the morning, the last thing you want to do is to cut your own pesky waffles. Mom still does it for me, and I'm trying to teach Christian how to do it too (he's a slow learner...he's used to the chunk of meat routine that Shayne started). Shoot for something more practical like being able to wipe after the bathroom on their own.

Shayne said...

Just when your kids can do everything themselves you will start to cry Emily and say "what happened to the days...sniffle sniffle...when I cut your waffles for you?" And a teenage Lily will look at Emily, tilt her head to the side while on her cell phone and say "Loser Mom" while giving the L sign with her index finger and thumb with the hand not holding the phone to her ear.