Wednesday, August 15, 2007

August 15 1974


That's right. It was on a day just like this 33 years ago that "our" family began. It was quite a day and if you'd asked me then what it would be like 33 years later there is no way I'd have figured it could have been so good. I know that as a couple, we had hopes of children but by the time I realized the cause, we had five. As I watch the next generation grow I marvel at the process. I often ask myself, "When did that happen?" I'm talking about things like crawling, walking, toilet training, talking, and so on. It all seems a blur. I'm thinking that grand parenting is a way to watch kids grow up in slow motion as compared to the speed of light that children grow. I suppose most of the reasons my memory suffers is because I wasn't as involved in the nurturing process as fathers are now days. At any rate, I look forward to many more experiences with my sweetheart. Once while we were courting, I played Dona the Beatles song with the line, "will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm sixty-four." So far, so good! As I write this I imagine that I'm writing to our children. I'd like them to know that I'm proud of each of you. I'm especially proud of your choices, particularly your spouses. It's also very comforting that you are all, in many ways, like your Mother. I've said before, I'll never be as giving as her, but she did choose me and that has made all the difference.

3 comments:

Emily said...

I'm glad that she chose you too. And I'm glad that our family started 33 years ago today...odd, though, that I'm 34? Huh. Anyway...you couldn't have asked for better parents. Every day, and I mean every day, I ask myself, "How did they do it?" I guess from the other side it didn't seem like a big deal (to parent), but now I know that you must've been born to it, because it doesn't seem to come as naturally to me. Anyway, the point is...thanks for getting married and having us be a part or your family.
p.s. How did you figure out how to stop making babies?

daisy said...

Mom..Dad....Happy Anniversary! I love you both very much and so do my children!!!

Shayne said...

I like the part about the great spouses