Monday, July 21, 2008

Sadie's Birthday

Bear Lake is about 40 miles from Logan.  Dona was very pregnant and we were living at Camp Hunt at Bear Lake.  Every Friday at scout camp was busy with a campfire and finalizing merit badge signings.  Ross, Ann, and Julene came for a visit.  They planned on spending the weekend.  Early the next morning, Dona woke me and said, "It's time!"  I drove the Logan Canyon road faster than ever.  When we got to the hospital the nurse checked Dona and said, "Not yet."  We drove home to Hyrum and went to sleep (well at least I did).  Around 8:00 am we went back to the hospital and Dona was admitted.  For the first time, Dona had an epidural and she thoroughly enjoyed the experience.  I wasn't sure she was suffering enough but soon Sadie was born.  Dr. Hyde caught her as she came out and the first thing he said was "You better name her Stephanie because she looks like you" (meaning me).  I couldn't think of anything meaner than to name her Stephanie.  I've never liked that name and we already chose Sadie for a girls name (if she'd had been a boy my choice was Beaux).  In her 24 years, Sadie has keep the parental suffering at a minimum.  Fortunately she wasn't a boy or named Stephanie.

4 comments:

daisy said...

Happy Birthday Sadie!

I hope you know, I have always looked up to you... even though YOU are years younger. You have always been so smart and funny...probably THE funniest Reeder. You are an amazing mom and super wife. And now that you are both of those I can look up to you even more. Have a great birthday!

Shayne said...

Happy B-day Sade. Are you a Leo? Leo's are lame and cancer's rule.

I have also always looked up to you or pretty much at eye level because I am short.

Brooke said...

Hear hear! Happy birthday, Sade!

sadie said...

Nice try, Shayne. I am a cancer. Sorry.